Personal tools
You are here: Home Facilities Courthouse Courthouse Timeline
Document Actions

Courthouse Timeline

by Jonathan Bailey last modified 2013-03-07 09:03 PM

Important dates in the history of the Marshall County Courthouse

1851 Henry Anson chose the site for a town and named it Marshall

Two of three commissioners appointed by the Iowa General Assembly selected a place for the county seat, three miles north of the center of Marshall County and named it Marietta.
1853 William C. Smith, County Judge, paid Alexander Crow $905.00 for a 22’ X 32’, one story, frame courthouse he built in Marietta.
Fall 1857 - Spring1858 Citizens of Marshall built a 40’ X 60’ two story, brick building at 10-12 South 1st Avenue and offered it to the county.
1858 The voters of Marshall County approved moving the county seat to the brick building in Marshall.
1859 After a lengthy court proceeding and a "night march on Marietta," county records and the safe were brought to Marshall by 8 yoke of oxen and placed in the 1st Avenue brick courthouse where they remained for 26 years.
1860 The Marietta Courthouse was purchased by a hardware merchant for $175.00 and brought to 20 West Main, Marshall.
1873 (About) The Marietta Courthouse was moved to 610 West State where it remains, the back section of an apartment house.
1881 Citizens voted for a new $100,000 courthouse to be built on the public square deeded by Henry Anson in 1881.
1884 Architect John C. Cochrane of Chicago, whose firm had designed the State Capitol building in Des Moines, was selected to make plans and write specifications for the new Marshall County Courthouse.
1884 The cornerstone was laid. Local contractors included the LeGrand Quarry Co., and Banzhaf & Atkinson, who had the contract for stone and mason work, and D.E. Townsend, contractor for carpentry and glazing.
1886 The $150,000, 30’ X 130’ X 175’ tall Courthouse was dedicated in afternoon and evening ceremonies. A semi-circular drive approached the south entrance.
1900 A $2,580 tower clock installation was completed. Henry Anson’s funeral was held in the Grand Court Room.
1974 70.8% of voters approved a $3.2 million bond issue for renovation.
1978 County government returned to the newly renovated 1886 courthouse on the public square.
1978 Rededication of the Marshall County Courthouse.
1986 A centennial celebration was held at the courthouse.

Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: