Personal tools
You are here: Home ATV/Boats/Snowmobiles
Document Actions


by Jonathan Bailey last modified 2016-03-14 12:57 PM

ATV / SNOW Registrations

ATVs & snowmobiles are renewed annually and registrations are valid January 1 – December 31. Renewals can be made September 1 – December 31 for the following year. ATVs registered since January 2000 and snowmobiles registered since January 1998 must have a title.

A $5.00 penalty is applied to renew an expired registration.

When transferring ownership of an ATV or snowmobile, a registration certificate, a bill of sale and the title, if indicated, are needed.

Type cost type cost type cost type cost
New Owner $17.75          
Renewal $17.75            
Duplicate   Registration $7.75 Decal $7.75 Title $11.50
Title $11.50            
Lien $11.50            

* Effective July 1, 2007, change of ownership can be made with an expired registration form and a $5.00 penalty fee will be applied. Change of ownership not made within 30 days from the sale date will be charged a $5.00 penalty, in addition to the normal fees.

If mailed you will need to add $1.00 per item requested for postage.

BOAT Registrations

Boat registrations expire on April 30, every three years beginning 2007. 

Boat fees are based on the type and length of the boat. All boats over 17' in length (except canoes and kayaks) require a title. And all boats with a lien must be titled.

A $5.00 penalty is applied to renew an expired registration.

If Mailed you will need to add $1.00 per item requested for postage.

When transferring a boat, a current or expired registration, a bill of sale and a title, if indicated, are needed.

Boat Titles
The fee for boat titles are $12.75 each, plus $12.75 with a lien.

Boat Registrations
Transfer Fee: $3.75
Duplicate Fee: $3.75
Duplicate Title: $12.75

Type of Transaction Cost Year 2016 *Cost Year 2017 *Cost Year 2018
New Boat or Reactivate - Documented Vessel $29.90 $21.50 $13.20
Renew Registration - Documented Vessel $29.90 $29.90 $29.90
New Boat or Reactivate - All personal watercraft $49.90 $34.90 $19.90
Renew Registration - All personal Watercraft $49.90 $49.90 $49.90
New Boat or Reactivate - Any length, without motor or sail $16.90 $12.90 $8.90
Renew Registration - Any length, without motor or sail $16.90 $16.90 $16.90
New Boat or Reactivate - Less than 16ft (Motor/Sail) $27.40 $19.90 $12.40
Renew Registration - Less than 16ft (Motor/Sail) $27.40 $27.40 $27.40
New Boat or Reactivate - 16ft to under 26ft (Motor/Sail) $40.90 $28.90 $16.90
Renew Registration - 16ft to under 26ft (Motor/Sail) $40.90 $40.90 $40.90
New Boat or Reactivate - 26ft to under 40ft (Motor/Sail) $79.90 $54.90 $29.90
Renew Registration - 26ft to under 40ft (Motor/Sail) $79.90 $79.90 $79.90
New Boat or Reactivate - 40ft and over (Motor/Sail) $154.90 $104.90 $54.90
Renew Registration - 40ft and over (Motor/Sail) $154.90 $154.90 $154.90
Transfers - (If expired, also add renewal fee) $2.25 $2.25 $2.20

    * Subject to Penalty

Effective July 1, 2005 & July 1, 2009 per the Iowa Department of Revenue:

  • Sales of vessels and vehicles in Iowa are subject to the state sales tax of 6% plus local option taxes, if any. This applies to sales by individuals, as well as, dealers.
  • Anyone purchasing a vessel or vehicle from an individual should obtain a receipt that shows the cost of the boat. The buyer will then pay the sales tax on the cost of the boat, ATV, ORV, or snowmobile to the County Recorder.
  • If a trailer is purchased with the vessel or vehicle the 5% motor vehicle use tax is paid to the County Treasurer.

NOTE: Effective July 1, 2007, transfers can be made with current or expired registrations.

Click on the link below to print out an application form.

Application for registration, title, and security interest (406 KB)
Print, complete, and mail or deliver form to Recorders Office. Call the Marshall County Recorders Office at 641.754.6355 for the correct fee. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order made out to the Marshall County Recorder because we are unable to accept credit/debit cards.

Visit the Department of Natural Resources website regarding decal placement, lettering requirements, boating regulations, etc. by clicking on the icon at left.

Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: