Annual Photo Contest
Calling all amateur photographers to capture the beauty of Marshall County's natural resources!
Each year the MCCB holds an annual natural resource/conservation resource photo contest. This contest is open to amateur photographers who love to catch nature at its finest. Pictures can be any thing from a child catching their first fish, wood duck ducklings emerging from a nest box, or the sun setting over a prairie.
Changes to the
Annual Photo Contest
Due to COVID, we have decided to change our photo contest this year. This option has many perks!! 1. This is less work for you, the participant. 2. The contest will have no admission fee. 3. It will allow everyone to participate no matter their comfort level with COVID19.
How the contest will work:
· All entries must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org titled Photo Contest by Sunday, January 31 at midnight. In the body of your email state the category for the photograph(s), your name, address, brief description of the photo (if you have multiples) and phone number. No photos will be accepted in person.
· Photographs will be judged the week of February 8, for the categories listed below.
· Categories: Scenic (Natural Resources), Native Wildlife, Native Plants, Open Nature, and Outdoor Recreation. Winners of each category will receive a $20 gift certificate. For more information on the categories: http://www.co.marshall.ia.us/departments/conservation/photo-contest-2
· The week of February 8 through February 15, all photographs received will be posted on Facebook. The photograph that gets the most likes for Peoples’ Choice will win a $20 gift certificate.
· There will be no chili supper, therefore all certificates will be mailed to winners.
Categories for adults:
1. Scenic: providing or relating to views of impressive or beautiful natural scenery. Must be taken in Marshall County.
2. Native plants: a photo of a plant that is native to Iowa. Must be taken in Marshall County. Please avoid invasive species such as Queen’s Anne lace, parsnip, etc.
3. Native wildlife: a photo of an animal that is native to Iowa. Must be taken in Marshall County. Please avoid domestic livestock, pets, house sparrows, mute swans, and other invasive species.
4. Outdoor Recreation: must depict outdoor recreation such as biking, fishing, running, kayaking, etc. Must be taken in Marshall County.
5. Open Nature: must be nature related but does not have to be taken in Marshall County.
Entries will be judged by a professional photographer and one $20 gift certificate will be
awarded to the winning photo for each category.