Personal tools
You are here: Home Departments Conservation Board Frequently Asked Questions
Document Actions

Frequently Asked Questions

by tkrough last modified 2013-03-07 09:01 PM

Answers to some frequently asked questions received by MCCB

Does a child under age 16 need a license to hunt in Iowa?

  • Residents under 16 years old who hunt under the direct supervision of their properly licensed parent, guardian, or other competent adult with the consent of the parent or guardian do not need a Hunting License or pay the Habitat or Migratory Game Bird fee. One properly licensed adult must accompany each unlicensed hunter under 16 years old.
  • Residents 12 to 15 years old may hunt without adult supervision, but must have a Hunting License and must have passed a hunter education course. Fees are not required.


For more information on hunting rules and regulations:


Is hunter’s safety required?

  • Resident and nonresident hunters born after Jan. 1, 1972, must satisfactorily complete a hunter education course in order to obtain a hunting license. A person who is 11 years-old or older may enroll in a course, but those who are 11 and successfully complete the course shall be issued a certificate of completion which becomes valid on that person’s 12th birthday. Residents under the age of 12 can be issued deer and turkey licenses, but the youth hunter must be accompanied by and under the immediate control of or direct supervision of a licensed adult hunter.


For more information on hunting rules and regulations:


Do you need a trout stamp to fish for trout?

  • Iowa residents and nonresidents who are required to have a fishing license must pay the Trout Fee to fish for or possess trout.  Exception: Iowa residents and nonresidents under 16 years old may possess or fish for trout without having paid the Trout Fee if they fish with a properly licensed adult who has paid the Trout Fee and together they limit their catch to the one person daily limit of five trout.  Children under 16 have the option to purchase their own trout privilege, which allows them to fish without a properly licensed adult and keep their own daily limit (5).


For more information on fishing rules and regulations:


What do I do if I harvested a banded duck and/or geese?

  • The bands can be reported at or by calling 1-800-327-2263 (BAND). Reporting the harvest of banded waterfowl provides valuable information which helps sustain waterfowl populations and hunting for the future.


What do I do if I find a banded a pigeon?

  • You have found a racing pigeon.  For information on how to indentify and how to care for the pigeon:



What do I if I get sprayed by a skunk?

  • If you, a family member, or pet get sprayed here is a skunk odor remover recipe:

1 quart three percent Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid soap

Mix together in a plastic bucket and wash the affected area.

* Warning: Keep solution away from eyes, nose, and mouth


I found a baby bird in my yard what do I do?

  • The Department of Natural Resources urges people not to pick up the young "orphans". In most cases, the young animals are not orphans but are being watched over by their mother from a nearby cover. The intruder in this case is the person and he/she should quietly leave the area without touching the young animal. The mother, when she feels it is safe, will come out and lead her offspring to cover. Remember it is illegal to keep wild animals in captivity. As cute as the "orphans" are, the best policy is "hands off".


How much does it cost for a hunting and/or fishing license and where can I purchase a hunting and/or fishing license?

  • Hunting and fishing licenses can be purchased at The General Store, Theisens, Kmart and Walmart in Marshalltown.  Also at Baker's Wildlife and Angling in Clemons and Dean's Bait and Tackle in State Center.  For a complete list of vendors in Iowa and the fees associated, please see the following:

Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: