Marietta Sand Prairie Preserve
1744 Knapp Ave 1 1/4 miles north of Hartland Friends Church off E-29
The original 17-acre Marietta Sand Prairie site was purchased in June 1983 and dedicated as a State Preserve September 6, 1984. Funds for this purchase were made available through a generous donation from Janet Paterson.
The 212-acre addition to the Marietta Sand Prairie was made possible by partnering with Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, Martha-Ellen Tye Foundation, Pheasants Forever, REAP, Iowa Prairie Network, and donations from many others.
Sand prairie is among the rarest of prairie types and comprises only a few hundred acres of Iowa’s 35 million acres. Moreover, it contains small fens, which are a rare, spring-fed type of wetland with saturated soil. Of the more than 200 plant species found in fens, about five percent are listed as threatened or endangered.
Activities and Features:
- Wildlife and flora viewing
No Motor Vehicles Allowed
Removing Plants is Prohibited
Map of Marietta Sand Prairie: